Movie sets for years have had fairly extensive rules on firearms, ammo and the handling thereof.  What needs to happen with Rust is to find out how and why the rules were circumvented and find a way to make sure this never happens again.  If that includes jail for life for Alec Baldwin, so be it.  This shooting was no accident, it was a failure of 3 individuals in a row to do their jobs and created a serious incident and loss of life.  There never should have been real ammo on the set, the person handing the weapon to Baldwin should have verified what was in the weapon and Baldwin should have checked.  None of that obviously took place.  Someone put real ammo in that gun, anyone who knows how to put a bullet into a revolver would have to know the bullets were not fake, this could be a 4th person since it is obvious the other 3 involved did not do their job.

On 12/2/21 10:27, Jay Weekley wrote:
Just watch any action movie such as John Wicke, Saving Private Ryan, Heat etc. There have been three deaths that I know of in all movies and TV series combined that I know of.   Massive reform is not required.

Mathew Howard wrote:
Personally, I think all these calls for changes to how the film industry handles weapons safety, banning guns from sets, etc. are more than likely completely unnecessary. It appears to me that they already have pretty strict safety procedures, which seem to have worked pretty well for the last century or so. If the reports that the safety procedures were repeatedly violated on that set are true (to the point people were walking off the set because they thought it was unsafe), that's the problem. The people that ignored the rules and procedures need to be held accountable, one way or another. Throwing a few people in prison is going to be pretty effective at making sure the rules are followed in the future. Monetary loss, which probably won't even significantly hurt the lackeys that are probably actually responsible (aside from Baldwin himself) isn't going to have the same effect.

Accidents happen, and sometimes they're unavoidable, but this isn't just a simple accident. This couldn't have happened if certain people had actually done their job. I don't think it's terribly unreasonable to hand a gun to some idiot actor and tell him to do whatever he needs to do with it, even if he's clueless and might violate every aspect of standard firearms safety - provided that gun passed through the hands of several other people who know what they're doing and verified there was no way it could hurt anybody.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 11:51 AM Chuck McCown via AF <af@af.afmug.com <mailto:af@af.afmug.com>> wrote:

    So, what does jail time fix?  A deterrent?  Sending a message?  A
    spanking for bad humans?
    This was an accident.  My wife wrecked a car 20 years ago and one
    of my sons died.  Should she have been put in jail? Accidents
    happen.
    The family has civil remedies because money is the only thing the
    legal system can do to attempt to make one whole.
    *From:* Steve Jones
    *Sent:* Thursday, December 2, 2021 10:43 AM
    *To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT Alec Baldwin
    firearm safety is a universal applied universally to firearms.
    There is no different level of safety for different people. A
    firearms inherent danger doesnt lessen depending on where its used
    (maybe around flammable gasses). I hate cop out excuses for
    mishandling firearms. Thats how we have gotten to a point where
    people are afraid of an inanimate object.
    Now, putting a firearm in a morons hand like alec baldwin adds to
    the inherent danger, but thats beyond the basic principles of
    firearm safety (the ones that dont change)
    Multiple people need to see some jail time, starting with the
    person operating the firearm, thats the person ultimately
    responsible. The armorer, unless she can prove her sabatoge claim,
    needs to be in a cell. the guy who picked it up and gave it to the
    moron is just as culpable as twerp baldwin. Maybe they can be
    cellmates and split their time with shower bubba.
    This is a perfect example of why rule 1 exists, willfull ignorance
    of that is called negligence.
    On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 11:12 AM Daniel White <dwh...@atheral.com>