In fact...the smart grid can help eliminate rolling brownouts/blackouts by
carefully managing the power delivered to customers on the end of the lines
by controlling the delivered voltage. Basically, these meters give power
companies the ability to measure the voltage delivered to meet the minimum
requirements at the end of each feed... Substation transformers can then be
set to deliver lower voltage (= lower power usage) thus avoiding
brownouts...of course, load control (turning off your A/C) doesn't hurt
either.

Pre-smart grid, the main way the power company knew about lines going down
(storms, trees, etc) was when they got a phone call. These meters will tell
them where they have issues so they can route around much much much faster;
other parts of the smart grid can allow power to be rerouted from a control
panel rather than a power company truck and a guy with an insulated stick
throwing a switch in the rain.

It is a fascinating topic...

Chuck