Poles actually do permanently consume non renewable resources.  There is only
so much room for a pole line along most streets and roads.  Once that room is
consumed it is gone.   Even private easements are “perpetual” and “run with the
land”.

From: CBB - Jay Fuller
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:53 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] The latest gig city

where is my popcorn...

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jaime Solorza
  To: Animal Farm
  Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:38 AM

  I will stand in for Chuck, not that he needs help,  just haven't tangled in a
while... Getting rusty

  On Sep 17, 2016 9:23 AM, "That One Guy /sarcasm" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

    So, will chuck and jared be gladiator fighting in the cage after Patrick
and whoever challenges him ?

    On Sep 17, 2016 5:10 AM, "Jeff Broadwick - Lists" <jeffl...@att.net> wrote:

      Great post Jared!

      Jeff Broadwick
      ConVergence Technologies, Inc.
      312-205-2519 Office
      574-220-7826 Cell
      jbroadw...@converge-tech.com

          From: chuck

          Why should you even get access to my ducts or my poles in the first
place?

        Because you put them in the public right of way.
        If you want private ducts and poles, go negotiate your own easements
and build on private land.

          I paid to have them put in for my use.

        So you did. We, the public, still get to set the rules (by proxy) on
how the poles are to be used on "our" land.

          I realize it is somewhat the "law of

          the commons" but even then, those who file for a mining claim get the
spoils

          of the mine.  This is just a different kind of mine.

        The mines analogy isn't really suitable as cables on poles do not
permanently consume non-renewable resources.

          You still pay an attachment fee because you forced the upgrade of my
pole.

        That only makes sense if I had to pay you until the old pole was paid
off. After that you should pay me.

          You should be grateful there is a pole there you can use in the first
place.

        What's there to be grateful about? I just put in my own damn pole.
        If there was an existing pole there I could use, you should be grateful
for me paying it off for you.

          Why not break out your horizontal directional drill and stay the hell
off my

          poles.

        Let's see how you like that argument when I pass an ordinance to
underground all utilities.

        Just because you were the first one to put in a pole, does not mean you
should be the only one allowed to benefit from the public right of way.

          (Chuck McCown is playing the part of the pissed off, privately owned,

          electrical utility in today's episode.  Chuck McCown is not actually
a pole

          owner but he plays one on TV).

        Jared is playing the part of the outraged and righteous member of
public. In real life Jared is just an ordinary citizen.

        Jared