But I have the monopoly power spells, totally invincible...

From: That One Guy /sarcasm
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:23 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] The latest gig city

So, will chuck and jared be gladiator fighting in the cage after Patrick and
whoever challenges him ?

On Sep 17, 2016 5:10 AM, "Jeff Broadwick - Lists" <jeffl...@att.net> wrote:

  Great post Jared!

  Jeff Broadwick
  ConVergence Technologies, Inc.
  312-205-2519 Office
  574-220-7826 Cell
  jbroadw...@converge-tech.com

      From: chuck

      Why should you even get access to my ducts or my poles in the first place?

    Because you put them in the public right of way.
    If you want private ducts and poles, go negotiate your own easements and
build on private land.

      I paid to have them put in for my use.

    So you did. We, the public, still get to set the rules (by proxy) on how
the poles are to be used on "our" land.

      I realize it is somewhat the "law of

      the commons" but even then, those who file for a mining claim get the
spoils

      of the mine.  This is just a different kind of mine.

    The mines analogy isn't really suitable as cables on poles do not
permanently consume non-renewable resources.

      You still pay an attachment fee because you forced the upgrade of my
pole.

    That only makes sense if I had to pay you until the old pole was paid off.
After that you should pay me.

      You should be grateful there is a pole there you can use in the first
place.

    What's there to be grateful about? I just put in my own damn pole.
    If there was an existing pole there I could use, you should be grateful for
me paying it off for you.

      Why not break out your horizontal directional drill and stay the hell off
my

      poles.

    Let's see how you like that argument when I pass an ordinance to
underground all utilities.

    Just because you were the first one to put in a pole, does not mean you
should be the only one allowed to benefit from the public right of way.

      (Chuck McCown is playing the part of the pissed off, privately owned,

      electrical utility in today's episode.  Chuck McCown is not actually a
pole

      owner but he plays one on TV).

    Jared is playing the part of the outraged and righteous member of public.
In real life Jared is just an ordinary citizen.

    Jared