One thing I like about Assange and all the media is that the founding father
saw the necessity of having a free press to stir the stink.  We need that part
of the process as much as we need the rest of the government (more or less).

From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 7:24 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT does it really matter?

Interesting.  How long will that last, 15 minutes?

I’m not sure why you like Assange so much, he is very anti-US and several of
his Wikileaks cofounders have parted company due to his runaway ego.

Vox leans left so you probably dismiss anything they say, but they specialize
in in-depth coverage and display their facts and sources so you can discount
their bias and form your own conclusions.  Here’s an excerpt from a recent
article on why Assange is targeting Clinton:

“WikiLeaks’ overriding ideology, at least publicly, is one of “radical
transparency”: a deep belief that modern politics is undemocratic, with the
important decisions made behind closed doors by elites and bureaucrats, and
that the public deserves to know what’s actually going on.

But there’s always been another consistent element of the group’s thinking:
suspicion of the United States and its role in global politics. This stems from
the thinking of its founder and leader, Assange — which helps explain why the
group seems to despise Clinton.

The organization’s 2015 book The WikiLeaks Files: The World According to US
Empire contains the most in-depth catalog of Assange’s thoughts on the United
States. They’re not positive: Assange sees the United States as a malign
empire, one that has spent the decades since World War II unjustly interfering
in other countries and killing their citizens. He sees the work of WikiLeaks,
particularly publishing classified US documents, as a way to expose the inner
workings of imperialism.

“Only by approaching this corpus holistically — over and above the
documentation of each individual abuse, each localized atrocity — does the true
human cost of empire heave into view,” Assange writes.

WikiLeaks’ operations, in keeping with this philosophy, have heavily targeted
the US. “It has been pretty hard to make the case that WikiLeaks is a neutral
transmission system,” journalist Joshua Keating wrote in 2012. “Nearly all its
major operations have targeted the US government or American corporations.”

It makes sense that someone with Assange’s views would hate Clinton. She’s
widely seen, with some justification, as someone who’s pretty comfortable with
using American military power. She has been consistently in the interventionist
wing of the Democratic Party on such issues as the Iraq War, the Libya
intervention, and arming the Syrian rebels.

When the UK’s ITV asked Assange whether he’d prefer Trump as president, this
was a core part of his answer. In fact, he implied that Clinton’s record made
her even more dangerous than Trump.

“Trump is a completely unpredictable phenomenon. You can’t predict what he
would do in office,” Assange said. “Hillary was overriding the Pentagon’s
reluctance to overthrow Muammar Qaddafi. ... She has a long history of being a
liberal war hawk, and we presume that she’s going to proceed.”

Assange clearly sees Clinton as a representative of the worst parts of the
American empire. Moreover, he thinks that she, personally, would use the power
of the US government to go after his organization.

“Hillary Clinton is receiving constant updates about my personal situation; she
has pushed for the prosecution of WikiLeaks,” he told ITV. “We do see her as
more of a problem for freedom of the press generally.”

In Assange’s telling, Clinton is an authoritarian imperialist who directly
threatens the well-being of his organization and maybe even his person. No
wonder Assange seems to think she’s worse than Trump

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/15/12929262/wikileaks-hillary-clinton-julian-assange-hate