Title: Re: [AFMUG] Ready for the Xbox one X and 100GB games?
Simon,

But metered billing makes them think about what they are doing.  Does the baby need to be falling asleep watching a 4K movie?  The best way I can put it is renting an apartment with utilities included.  If I'm renting an apartment in FL with electric included, my AC is going to be set at 68 24/7.  The cat will be very comfortable all day, why should I care.  However, if I'm paying for electric, the cat will have to deal with 78 during the day and I may have to deal with 72 when I get home.

Bandwidth prices are dropping for some, but for others it is still expensive.  Not to mention the HW costs to upgrade your network to handle the higher bandwidth internally.

4K tvs cost more to buy than 1080  or 720 TV's.  Why should someone who is willing to stream at 720 or pay for satellite TV, be forced to pay the same as that guy that wants to watch in 4K.  Why should a single person who just needs dependable fast internet occasionally be force to pay the same amount as the family with 6 kids and 30 devices?  Why should the kid willing to buy his game on a disc be forced to pay the same as the guy who doesn't want to get up off the couch to change a disc?

Why is it we are the only industry that is expected to deliver a top notch fast and reliable service at a single low price.  The electric company gets to charge per KW, the all you can eat buffet charges per person, the cell phone company charges per device, cable/satellite charges per box, hell even the streaming companies get to put limits on the number of people that can stream per account.  Why is it when we ask a heavy user to pay their fair share all hell breaks lose and we are the greedy bastards?

--
Best regards,
Mark

Myakka Technologies, Inc.
www.MyakkaTech.com

Proud Sponsor of the Myakka City Relay For Life
http://www.RelayForLife.org/MyakkaCityFL

Please Donate at Please Donate at http://www.myakkatech.com/RFL.html
------

The problem with metered billing is that it doesn't solve the problem. The customer still purchased a game they want to download, or they have a 4K TV they want to watch movies on. Most people are just going to look for other options if they have to pay every time they try to use a device in their household, and even if people are willing to pay, you still have to be able to deliver enough service to them to give them the speeds they want.

Until there is more spectrum available, I think DPI is a much better solution.. you can deprioritize and shape things like game downloads, and prioritize/shape their video streaming. I wish there was a better option, but I really don't think implementing UBB is a solution to this problem. It may give you more money to build up your network a bit, but it is poison to most customer's ears, and it won't change their behavior that much unless it's extremely painful for them financially.