It's a scary feeling when you get to a site that is in the middle of nowhere late at night to find out it's been vandalized and not know where the culprit is. I've started taking a pistol on my late night service calls if I am alone and almost always have a mag light with me day or night.

Robert Haas wrote:

I carry afterhours when I am responding by myself – some areas I will not respond to after hours alone or otherwise. I do not carry during normal business hours.

For our techs though, they are told to leave the area immediately if there is a significant threat, then to call the office or police.

--

We’ve had 2 incidents of people pulling weapons on our techs recently.

One was a scheduled site survey. CSR’s called and spoke with the lady and gave her a time frame to expect the tech. Tech showed up, knocked on the door, rang the doorbell etc. and there was no response. He began doing the survey and was standing on the extension ladder when the lady came out and started screaming at him and pointing a revolver at him. The tech ran up the ladder and over the peak of the house. She came around the other side of the house and screamed at him to get off the roof – he got down and loaded his ladder up and left.

She called complaining that we showed up un-announced and our vehicles aren’t marked – both of which are false – we also wear company shirts with our logo.

The best part was her husband called up later wanting to know if it passed or not and then got pissed when we told him that we refused to service his location..

--

The other we had a tech out on a service call. The house’s eves were rotten and the J-arm and radio had fallen off the eve. Tech sent me pics of the house which was pretty much falling in on itself. I told the tech to speak to the homeowner about putting a 4x4 post down at the corner of the house so we could re-attach the radio but that we were not going to be able to mount the radio back on the house due to its condition. Homeowner blows up goes inside and comes back out with a shotgun and tells the tech to take the equipment otherwise he was going to blow his head off.

--

I’ve personally have had people walk up on me while working at a site in the early morning hours like at 1-2am. Nothing came of them – they were just intoxicated out wandering I guess.

I also, completely on accident, hit a guy with a half full 44 ounce soda who was digging in one of our dumpsters at 3am. I was working late and was finished and cleaning up, the dumpster is probably 15’ or so from the door of the shelter. I walked out and took a couple of steps towards my van and threw my soda into the dumpster. Unbeknown to me he was digging through the dumpster and I nailed him right in the head and the cup burst on him. He was slightly peeved and started towards me. All I could think to grab was my mag light out of the passenger seat of my van. I told him if he got any closer that we were going to find out how well the flashlight held up being used like a bat.