On Wed, Sep 27, 2023, 11:58 AM John Rose <johnr...@polyplexic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 27, 2023, at 11:41 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
>
> 1. Medical consciousness. The mental state of being awake and able to form
> memories. The opposite of unconsciousness.
> 2. Ethical consciousness. The property of higher animals that makes it
> unethical to inflict pain or to harm or kill them.
> 3. Phenomenal consciousness. The undefinable property that makes humans
> different from zombies, where a zombie is exactly like a human by any
> behavioral test. The thing that various religions claim goes to heaven when
> you die. The little person in your head. Awareness of your own awareness.
> What thinking feels like.
>

> There is another you’re omitting and that is how consciousness relates to
> intelligence. We can call it CI for Conscio-Intelligence. Trying to stay
> focused on intelligence related aspects...

If you are going to define consciousness as intelligence, then you need to
define intelligence. We have two widely accepted definitions applicable to
computers.

1. The Turing test. Passing for human in a chat session.

2. Legg and Hutter's universal intelligence. Expected reward over a
universal distribution of environments.

Both of those require the ability to form memories, the definition of
medical consciousness. Or do you mean something different?