Okay, I think I see what you're getting at. The issue with "decentralized"
anything would always become one of speed of transmission, hence the
limitations of materials and available power. Perhaps then, if we adopted a
perspective of layers, where each layer could theoretically represent a
particular context, as the intent and purpose of the layer. Let's assume such a
layer could be fashioned into a computer chip.

The architectural question would then arise as to which priority of all
priorities of a context would be aimed at by such a chip? This would be
relevant because an adaptive, complex system would probably had multiple
priorities of different "agents" within a single context. Based on a
methodological systems and analysis design heuristics, the potential number of
total priorities (as points of decision making, or gates) for a single,
normalized, decomposed context would be no less than 524,288. Again,
heuristically, at least 4 such sets of priorities would exist within such a
context =  2,097,152 minimum number of gates.

My new research on complex, adaptive systems indicates that the systems context
could be triple this size, which in exponential terms would scale to many
millions of decision gates for a single layer of the of the overall system.
Therefore, your point on compressionability is most relevant.

 The 100 billion star problem in computing, I think it is called that, may be a
realistic approximation of the scale of the challenge in processing, let alone
design, faced by quantum computing. I include this perspective for us to keep
in mind as all elements of such a system should probably be of its optimal
compression value, meaning as short as effectively possible.

In theory, we could perhaps start by extracting certain architectural
principles for such a machine, e.g., Manage processing for, and on 100-billion
objects in near real time.

Such a challenge as this would provide some guidance as to the possible
characteristics, which would have to be ascribed to other elements of the
system, e.g., optimal state architecture and so on.

I may have diverted somewhat from your good points, but perhaps this is exactly
the type of hybridized thoughts that might emerge from this discussion, I hope.