@ John

Thanks for the useful input. Stuff to think about.

The GRAPE system in Japan provides an indication of the level of hardware
required. I'm no hardware expert, but I get what they are on about. I read
somewhere that a parallel link test was conducted with Playstation 3's, and
they actually managed to get a significant performance out of them. GMU's are
going to get smaller and cheaper and faster and faster, apparently. Let's keep
our eyes on those then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_%28microarchitecture%29

To me, the internet's issue would be issues of bandwidth and delay and routing
(latency) and so on, and off course availability and robustness and all such
stuff. Bad choice overall, in my view. Skype apparently uses the spare
resources on personal computers well, and probably other webapps too, but not
for this level of computing.

On-board, data-transmission speeds today as the equivalent of the silicon
connectors (do we still call them cables?) used in the GRAPE and other systems.

I would love to be part of a team to build an adaptive, learning machine. While
I await such a wonderful opportunity, I'm researching and designing away.

The "problem" I would like to address is how to connect a 3D printer to the
wormhole in our universe, via an adaptive, learning communication service.

Well, in my mind, that's how the movie plays out anyways.

Rob