On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 05:18, C. David Noziglia wrote:

> Why does perception, or any other aspect of AGI, have to follow the model of
> what natural systems (like human beings) do?
>
> Could not an AGI system simply be different, built for different assumptions
> and modeling?

I think you'll find that a lot of people agree with you, myself
included.  I don't think the smart money is in biological models, though
it might be where the easy money is.  The model we're using has no
origins in biology nor do we try and make it have characteristics of
biological systems -- the idea is to design intelligent systems, not
clone a brain.  Solving the general problem of intelligence in the
theoretical sense doesn't really involve knowing anything about
wetware.  I view it as a case of having an answer that doesn't tell you
much because nobody knows the question.  For me, checkpointing designs
against biological systems is mostly a curiosity.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-------