Alan Grimes wrote:
> > In 2003, our data entry activities will be emphasized as a result of
> > our participation in Darpa's Total Information Awarenesss program for
> > which we will construct a Terrorism Knowledge Base, containing all the
> > open-source terrorist individuals, organizations and events that we and
> > our sub-contractor experts can input.  It is hoped that the TKB will
> > prove useful, by answering interesting paramertized questions, for US
> > defense and intelligence communities.
>
> Working for the Ministry of Information, I see...
> I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW YOU. =\
>
> This is serious stuff. I would say that you have an ethical duity _NOT_
> to aid in this monsterous abuse of power.

Alan,

I agree that the TIA program is an ethical minefield.  However, the
situation doesn't seem as clear to me as it apparently does to you.

On the one hand, terrorism is a real threat, and there's a real value in
using information technology -- including AI -- to combat it.

On the other hand, once a terrorism-focused DB is created, it's hard to
argue that the intelligence community will necessarily ALWAYS use it ONLY
for "good" purposes focusing on defense against terrorism.

I think that if TIA databases and AI programs are constructed responsibly,
they can serve as a force of net good, even though abuses will always be
possible.

-- Ben G

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]