On Sun 12/1 Stephen Reed wrote:

"because the Cyc KB is currently memory resident we cannot contain the
full Cyc KB in Win32"

Stephen I believe this to be a an architectural design problem
regardless of whether you are on Linux or Windows.

Both operating systems have the capability of virtual memory to swap out
the least recently used seqments in memory.

In Windows for instance if you made your knowledge base a memory mapped
file, at run time it would all be loaded into memory if there was room
and the least frequently used segments could be swapped out.

In your current architecture you may not hit your head on the memory
ceiling as soon but you will eventually hit it.

A good architecture should allow your most frequently accessed knowledge
to stay resident while infrequently or hardly accessed knowledge remain
on disk or virtual memory.  This would allow your application to run on
machines with much smaller amounts of memory but at a performance
penalty.

Another approach would be to store knowledge in a relational database.
These system also cache and manage the tabel data the first time it is
read.  If it is frequently accessed it will stay in cache and be
accessed and memory speeds.  Most RDBMS have superior indexing and will
retrieve records much faster from cache than a linear search of memory.

If your actual application is written in Java vs. a true compiled
language you are also incurring a large performance penalty.  In my
experience there is no such thing as fast Java.  When all of the ERP
system vendors switched from client server to web based Java interfaces
all their response times went in the toilet.  And with all of the R&D
dollars Oracle has, if they can't make it run fast nobody can.
Larry Ellison bet the ranch on the thin-client being the wave of the
future. So far all he has are a lot of dissatified customers!