Tony,

Thanks for sharing your ideas (sorry for the erroneous naming of
shape-world).  We seem to agree that the lessons (for an AI) would need to
start of very simple, and gradually build up mental tools & techniques, by
using many different games to build slightly different aspects of cognition.

The idea of putting a baby AI in a simulated world where it might learn
cognitive skills is appealing.  But I suspect that it will take a huge
number of iterations for the baby AI to learn the needed lessons in that
situation.  I think it will be faster to give more constrained and
structured learning first, then when the AI is capable of understanding the
'game world' and the 'game rules' and the 'game interface' it could play
"Video games" with the intention of *discovering* how it all works together.
This is often what humans find interesting about video games: the discovery
aspect.  And this would be a valuable new skill to develop: given this
World, these Rules and this Interface, discover A, B, C.  Where A, B, C
could be many different things.  Eg: Reach the highest level possible; Stay
alive the longest; Rack-up the most points; Rack-up the least points without
dying...  But this kind of excercise is only going to be useful for mental
development once the AI has very significant capabilities.  I might almost
say that, by the time video-game-playing becomes beneficial to mental
development, the AI would be largely self-directed.

"Hey! Alan!  Wanna play Duke Nukem?"
"Okay Michael.  But I'm going to win this time."
"Oh, really?  How do you know."
"Well, its a bit complicated to explain.  Why don't I just show you?"
(gulp)

Michael Roy  Ames

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]