>
> Arnoud, it appears there is agreement that qualia exist -- as a very real
> illusion.  The "problem" of qualia, however, seems to be the
> question of how
> to represent/implement qualia in a thinking machine (assuming this must be
> designed-in for true and full consciousness.)
...
>  From a wider point of view the qualia are only an
> emergent property of a multitude of separate but interconnected processes.
>
> - Jef

I don't think qualia are the sort of things that can be implemented or
explicitly represented.

Rather, I think they're something that occurs in the subjective experiential
world associated with certain types of physical system....

So, rather than talking about implementing or representing qualia, we should
be talking about implementing structures that are well-suited to serve as
the mechanistic correlates of the subjective phenomena of qualia.

I'm not positing an old-fashioned dualism here -- I don't think there's some
"vital mind-force" that needs to be plugged into an AI to make it conscious!

What I think is that the subjective and objective views are two different
ways of looking at systems -- both valid and both interesting. Qualia belong
to the subjective view, but are correlated with things in the objective view
(e.g. things inside AI designs).

So, I'd rather not say "qualia are only an emergent property of a multitude
of separate but interconnected processes", but rather say that "the
implementation-level structures/dynamics that correspond to qualia, are an
emergent property of a multitude of separate but interconnected processes."

Of course, these are very tricky issues and I don't pretend to have solved
all their mysteries.  My goal in thinking about these issues has largely
been to come up with a consistent and useful set of thought-tools for
pragmatic AI design -- including those parts of AI design that are concerned
with an AI's subjective experience.

-- Ben G

-------
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription, 
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to