Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:       That would indeed be free,
nondeterministic choice,  which, as I understood, Pei ruled out for his system.

 The only qualifications are:

 * choosing randomly is only one of an infinity of  possible methods for such
choice
rephrase this one?

 * the difference between options can be much  greater than 5% -  humans and,
offhand,   I imagine, most  AGI's,  couldn't begin to measure and compare
options, with that degree of  precision

I'm not sure about this... I believe we differentiate to a very fine degree,
but I believe we cant verbalize or explain this easily.
If you show two girls to me, I can choose which one I prefer... but I cant give
reasons for that well, but there are sublte reasons, flick of the hair,
upturned nose, smell, etc.

Back on the AGI front though, is non-determinsm USEFUL?  other than as I have
stated, choosing randomly when we dont know any better?  Is there any other way
to implement non-determinsm, and is their any use for it?
  I picture in my AI, that occasionaly on its way down a path, it will choose a
different road, no real reason, but just an exploration function, so long as
the second path had no real downsides, and it may find some new information
there that shows it should take that path in teh future...

James Ratcliff