I really hate to get into this endless discussion.  I think everyone agrees
that some randomness in AGI decision making is good (e.g. learning through
exploration).  Also it does not matter if the source of randomness is a true
random source, such as thermal noise in neurons, or a deterministic pseudo
random number generator, such as iterating a cryptographic hash function with
a secret seed.

I think what is confusing Mike (and I am sure he will correct me) is that the
inability of humans to predict their own thoughts (what will I later decide to
have for dinner?) is something that needs to be programmed into an AGI.  There
is actually no other way to program it.  A computer with finite memory can
only model (predict) a computer with less memory.  No computer can simulate
itself.  When we introspect on our own brains, we must simplify the model to a
probabilistic one, whether or not it is actually deterministic.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]