On 10/3/07, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In fact, if the average AI post-grad of today had such hardware to play
> with, things would really start jumping.  Within ten years the equivents
> of such machines could easily be sold for somewhere between $10k and
> $100k, and lots of post-grads will be playing with them.

I see the only value to giving post-grads the kind of computing
hardware you are proposing is that they can more quickly exhaust the
space of ideas that won't work.  Just because a program has more lines
of code does not make it more elegant and just because there are more
clock cycles per unit time does not make a computer any smarter.

Have you ever computed the first dozen iterations of a sierpinski
gasket by hand?  There appears to be no order at all.  Eventually over
enough iterations the pattern becomes clear.  I have little doubt that
general intelligence will develop in a similar way:  there will be
many apparently unrelated efforts that eventually flesh out in
function until they overlap.  It might not be seamless but there is
not enough evidence that human cognitive processing is a seamless
process either.