On Wednesday 03 October 2007 09:37:58 pm, Mike Tintner wrote:

> I disagree also re how much has been done.  I don't think AGI - correct me -
has solved a single creative problem - e.g. creativity - unprogrammed
adaptivity - drawing analogies - visual object recognition - NLP - concepts -
creating an emotional system - general learning - embodied/ grounded
knowledge - visual/sensory thinking.- every dimension in short
of "imagination". (Yes, vast creativity has gone into narrow AI, but that's
different).

Ah, the Lorelei sings so sweetly. That's what happened to AI in the 80's -- it
went off chasing "human-level performance" at specific tasks, which requires
a completely different mindset (and something of a different toolset) than
solving the general AI problem. To repeat a previous letter, solving
particular problems is engineering, but AI needed science.

There are, however, several subproblems that may need to be solved to make a
general AI work. General learning is surely one of them. I happen to think
that analogy-making is another. But there has been a significant amount of
basic research done on these areas. 21st century AI, even narrow AI, looks
very different from say 80's expert systems. Lots of new techniques that work
a lot better. Some of them require big iron, some don't.

Research in analogy-making is slow -- I can only think of Gentner and
Hofstadter and their groups as major movers. We don't have a solid theory of
analogy yet (structure-mapping to the contrary notwithstanding). It's clearly
central, and so I don't understand why more people aren't working on it.
(btw: anytime you're doing anything that even smells like subgraph
isomorphism, big iron is your friend.)

One main reason I support the development of AGI as a serious subfield is not
that I think any specific approach here is likely to work (even mine), but
that there is a willingness to experiment and a tolerance for new and
odd-sounding ideas that spells a renaissance of science in AI.

Josh

-----