To Mike Douglas regarding the below comment to my prior post:

I think your notion that post-grads with powerful machines would only
operate in the space of ideas that don’t work is unfair.

A lot of post-grads may be drones, but some of them are cranking some
really good stuff.  The article, Learning a Dictionary of Shape-Components
in Visual Cortex: Comparisons with Neurons, Humans and Machines, by Thomas
Serre (accessible by Google), which I cited the other day, is a prime
example.

I don’t know about you, but I think there are actually a lot of very
bright people in the interrelated fields of AGI, AI, Cognitive Science,
and Brain science.  There are also a lot of very good ideas floating
around.  And having seen how much increased computing power has already
sped up and dramatically increased what all these fields are doing, I am
confident that multiplying by several thousand fold more the power of the
machine people in such fields can play with would greatly increase their
productivity.

I am not a fan of huge program size per se, but I am a fan of being able
to store and process a lot of representation.  You can’t compute human
level world knowledge without such power.  That’s the major reason why the
human brain is more powerful than the brains of rats, cats, dogs, and
monkeys -- because it has more representational and processing power.

And although clock cycles can be wasted doing pointless things such as
do-nothing loops, generally to be able to accomplish a given useful
computational task in less times makes a system smarter at some level.

Your last paragraph actually seems to make an argument for the value of
clock cycles because it implies general intelligences will come through
iterations.  More opps/sec enable iterations to be made faster.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12
Exeter, NH 03833