On 21/11/2007, Dennis Gorelik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Benjamin,
>
> > That's massive amount of work, but most AGI research and development
> > can be shared with narrow AI research and development.
>
> > There is plenty overlap btw AGI and narrow AI but not as much as you
> > suggest...
>
> That's only because that some narrow AI products are not there yet.
>
> Could you describe a piece of technology that simultaneously:
> - Is required for AGI.
> - Cannot be required part of any useful narrow AI.

My theory of intelligence is something like this. Intelligence
requires the changing of programmatic-structures in an arbitrary
fashion, so that we can learn, and learn how to learn. This is because
I see intelligence as the means to solve the problem solving problem.
It does not solve one problem but changes and reconfigures itself to
solve whatever problems it faces, within its limited hardware/software
and energy constraints.

This arbitrary change can result in the equivalent of bugs and
viruses, this means there needs to be ways for these to be removed and
prevented from spreading. This requires there be a way to distinguish
good programs from bad, so that the good programs are allowed to
remove bugs from others, and the bad programs prevented from being
able to alter other programs. Solving this problem is non-trivial and
requires thinking about computer systems in a different way to other
weak AI problems.

Narrow AI is generally solving a single problem, and so does not need
to change so drastically and so does not need the safeguards. It can
just concentrate on solving its problem.

  Will Pearson