Christopher,

On 12/2/08, Christopher Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Long time lurker here.
>
> If I understand you, Steve, your are saying (among other things) that
> English is less polysemous and pragmatically less complicated than, say,
> Russian.

Certainly not. I am saying that with enough words, long and complex
sentences, etc., that you can more accurately convey more things than in
Russian. That comes with a LOT of semantic ambiguity, multiple levels of
overloading, etc.

Everyone has been concentrating on disambiguation, which is a challenge, but
even with perfect disambiguation there are STILL some severe limits to all
languages.

Is English your L1?

Yes.

Do you speak Russian?

2 years in HS + 2 quarters in college. Enough for greetings and to find the
men's room, but not much more, though I do have a good Moscow accent.
However, that IS enough to get more attention from Russian speakers than
other conference attendees receive.

If English is indeed your first language, it is perhaps not surprising that
> English seems more semantically precise or "straightforward," as -- short of
> being a trained linguist -- you wold have less meta-awareness of its
> nuances. It's not as if the Arabic and Russian examples you provide have no
> English analogs.

My comments come more from competent human translaters, than from my own
personal experiences.

An interesting thing about Russian is how the language has shifted since the
fall of the Soviet Union. They have several words that all map to the
English "you", which is easy for Russian>English, but hard for
English>Russian. The Communist Party adopted "tui", the closest form
typically spoken between family members, to refer to other Communist Party
members. Then, with the fall of the Soviet Union, "tui" with its communist
overloading, is now seldom used. The synonyms of "you" is a good example of
a Russian richness not shared by English. However, Russian has no indefinite
relationship form of "you", the only form that English has, in part because
their written language is a relatively recent invention. Of course, if the
relationship were an adjective, it could be omitted. Interestingly, English
doesn't even have these adjectives in its lexicon, which makes some BIG gaps
in the representable continuum.

Steve Richfield