Steve,

I thought someone would come up with the kind of objection you have put
forward. Your objection is misplaced. ( And here we have an example of what I
meant by "knowing [metacognitively about] imaginative intelligence" -
understanding metacognitively how imagination works).

Consider what an image sequence/ movie of Ben talking to you would show. Ben
talking to you, uttering certain words, making certain gestures; his face
showing certain expressions.

What you're bringing up here is not what the movie shows, but what went on in
your mind - your reactions - as you, in a sense, watched and listened to that
movie - and wondered about what was going on in Ben's mind *behind the scenes*.
"What does he really think and feel about this, that and the other (as distinct
from the limited amount of information he is actually expressing)?" We all
react and think similarly to other people all the time and wonder about what's
going on *invisibly* in their minds..

But an image/movie can only be compared with a verbal statement in terms of
what it *actually shows*  - the *surface, visible action.* His actual,
observable dialogue and gestures and expressions - that and only that is what a
movie records with high fidelity..

In terms of those actual actions, an image/ image sequence is *infinitely*
superior to any verbal description. No verbal description could *begin* to
convey to you his particular smile and the curl of his lips, the drone of his
voice, the precise music of his statements, the tangled state of his hair, the
way he tosses his hair etc. etc.  No words could tell or show you his state of
body - his posture and attitude - at 10.05.01-to-10.05.02  pm.

[Words (along with other symbols, like numbers and algebraic symbols) can only
provide the *formulae* for objects - their constitutents. They can never
provide you, as images do, with actual maps of the whole *forms* of objects -
and therefore the layout of those constituents. They can never give us - and we
can never "get the picture". of those objects.

Consider a verbal statement:

"The Alsatian suddenly bit the man on the face."

What you have there is a complex action decomposed into a set of words - a
verbal formula. How much do you now know about the action being referred to?

Now try an image:of the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk9yHKQRE94&feature=related

Notice the difference? Now you've seen the whole dog engaging in the whole
action - and you've got the picture - the whole form, not just the formula]

And here's the reason I talk about understanding metacognitively about
imaginative intelligence. (I don't mean to be disparaging - I understand
comparably little re logic, say]. If you were a filmmaker, say, and had thought
about the problems of filmmaking, you would probably be alive to the difference
between what images show - people's actual faces and voices - and what they
can't show - what lies behind - their hidden thoughts and emotions.  And you
wouldn't have posed your objection.

  Mike,

  MT::
    *Even words for individuals are generalisations.
    *"Ben Goertzel" is a continuously changing reality. At 10.05 pm he will be
different from 10.00pm, and so on. He is in fact many individuals.
    *Any statement about an individual, like "Ben Goertzel", is also vague and
open-ended.

    *The only way to refer to and capture individuals with high (though not
perfect) precision is with images.
    *A movie of Ben chatting from 10.00pm to 10.05pm will be subject to
extremely few possible interpretations, compared with a verbal statement about
him.

  Even better than a movie, I had some opportunity to observe and interact with
Ben during CONVERGENCE08, I dispute the above statement!

  I had sought to extract just a few specific bits of information from/about
Ben. Using VERY specific examples:

  Bit#1: Did Ben understand that AI/AGI code and NN representation were
interchangeable, at the prospective cost of some performance one way or the
other. Bit#1=TRUE.

  Bit#2: Did Ben realize that there were prospectively ~3 orders of magnitude
in speed available by running NN instead of AI/AGI representation on an array
processor instead of a scalar (x86) processor. Bit#2 affected by question, now
True, but utility disputed by the apparent unavailability of array processors.

  Bit#3: Did Ben realize that the prospective emergence of array processors
(e.g. as I have been promoting) would obsolete much of his present work,
because its structure isn't vectorizable, so he is in effect betting on
continued stagnation in processor architecture, and may in fact be a small
component in a large industry failure by denying market? Bit#3= probably FALSE.

  As always, I attempted to "get the measure of the man", but as so often
happens with leaders, there just isn't a "bin" to toss them in. Without an
appropriate bin, I got lots of raw data (e.g., he has a LOT of hair), but not
all that much usable data.

  Alternatively, the Director of R&D for Google had a bin waiting for him, as
like SO many people who rise to the top of narrowly-focused organizations, he
had completely "bought into" the myths at Google without allowing for usurping
technologies. I saw the same thing at Microsoft when I examined their R&D
operations in 1995. It takes a particular sort of narrow mind to rise to the
top of a narrowly-focused organization. Here, there aren't many bits of
description about the individuals, but I could easily write a book about
the"bin" that the purest of them rise to fill.

  Steve Richfield