Bob,

I think you've been blinded by science here :). You don't actually see - and science hasn't, in all its history, seen - photons hitting receptors. What you're talking about there is very sophisticated, and not at all immediately-obvious/evident inferences made from scientific experiments, about theoretical entities, i.e. photons.

There is no problem though seeing the entities and movements in a movie - Ben, say, raising his hand, or shaking Steve's hand, or laughing or making some other facial expression. Sure, we can argue and/or be confused about the significance and classification of what exactly is going on. Is he really laughing, and is it spontaneous, or slightly sarcastic etc? But there can be little to no confusion about the exact movements Ben is making - how his hand is grasping Steve's, say, how his lips have moved. We can agree pretty scientifically there.

By contrast, if you and I read a verbal description of Ben and Steve's exchange, we could form radically different pictures of what was going on, including the simplest movements - and both our pictures could be far off the truth visible in a movie.

Note the consequences of this philosophical position - if we are really interested in understanding social exchanges like Ben and Steve's, (or indeed the science and scientific experiments re photons), we should, if possible, first look at movies, rather than verbal reports. (And clearly, in law, a video of a conversation will be vastly preferable to a verbal report/summary from a witness).

But it's only possible to put this philosophy into practice now- now that the world is being flooded for the first time with personally editable movies, a la Youtube, (where you can also find scientific videos)...

Bob: