2008/12/20 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:

> However, I have long been perplexed at the obsession with so many AI folks
> with vision processing.

I wouldn't say I'm "obsessed" with it. On its own vision processing
does nothing, the same as all other input processing -- its only when
a brain/AI used that processing to create output that it is actually
doing any work.

Theimportnat thing about vision, IMO, is not vision itself, but the
way that vision interfaces with a mind's model of the world. And
vision isn't really that different in principle from the other sensory
modalities that a human or animal has -- they are all inputs, that go
to building a model of the world, through which the organism makes
decisions.

> But, it's not obvious to me why so many folks think vision is so critical to
> AI, whereas other aspects of human body function are not.

I don't think any human body functions are critical to AI. IMO it's a
perfectly valid approach to AI to build programs that deal with
digital symbolic information -- e.g. programs like copycat or eurisko.

> For instance, the yogic tradition and related Eastern ideas would suggest
> that *breathing* and *kinesthesia* are the critical aspects of mind.
> Together with touch, kinesthesia is what lets a mind establish a sense of
> self, and of the relation between self and world.

Kinesthesia/touch/movement are clearly important sensory modalities in
mammals, given that they are utterly fundamental to moving around in
the world. Breathing less so -- I mean you can do it if you're
unconscious or brain dead.

> Why then is there constant talk about vision processing and so little talk
> about kinesthetic and tactile processing?

Possibly because people are less conscious of it than vision.

> Personally I don't think one needs to get into any of this sensorimotor
> stuff too deeply to make a thinking machine.

Me neither. But if the thinking machine is to be able to solve certain
problems (when connected to a robot body, of course) it will have to
have sophisticated systems to handle touch, movement and vision. By
"certain problems" I mean things like making a cup of tea, or a cat
climbing a tree, or a human running over uneven ground.

> But, if you ARE going to argue
> that sensorimotor aspects are critcial to humanlike AI because they're
> critical to human intelligence, why harp on vision to the exclusion of other
> things that seem clearly far more fundamental??

Say I asked you to imagine a cup.

(Go on, do it now).

Now, when you imagined the cup, did you imagine what it looks like, or
what it feels like to the touch. For me, it was the former. So I don't
think touch is clearly more fundamental, in terms of how it interacts
with our internal model of the world, than vision is.

> Is the reason just that AI researchers spend all day staring at screens and
> ignoring their physical bodies and surroundings?? ;-)

:-)

--
Philip Hunt, <cabala...@googlemail.com>