On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, deepakjnath <deepakjn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do we listen to a song sung in different scale and yet identify it as
> the same song.?  Does it have something to do with the fundamental way in
> which we store memory?

Probably due to evolution?  Maybe at some point prior to words pitch was
used in some variation.  You (an astrolopithicus etc, the spelling is f-ed
up, I know) is not going to care what key you are singing "Watch out for
that sabertooth tiger" in.  If you got messed up like that, can't hear the
same song in a different key, you are cancelled out in evolution.  Just a
guess.

Mike Archbold