What would be an example of a "basic" conditional action?

On 12/10/2017 7:04 PM, Aris Merchant wrote:
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 10:55 +1100, Madeline wrote:
On 2017-12-11 03:54, Corona wrote:
I cause ACU to transfer to me 5-(no. of Agora's shinies) shinies,
destroying ten times that number of bills.
"Number of Agora's shinies" isn't something I'm expected to know. ;_;

It strikes me that it might be a good idea to just ban conditional
actions altogether (via proposal), apart from conditional voting (which
is separate in the rules anyway, and has proven to be helpful as an
anti-game-theory measure).

Right now they're mostly being used as a way to push work from players
onto officers, which is not really a good thing given how hard office
work can be.

When we used to do an action that might fail, we just did it (and then
stated the circumstances under which it would fail). At least then
messing around with potentially failing actions had some sort of risk
for the person who was doing it, encouraging them to verify that it
worked beforehand.

--
ais523

I would strongly oppose a flat ban on conditional actions. Hopefully the
judicial system can work out something reasonable, and if not I'm sure we
can legislate some restrictions. Basic conditional actions are useful,
although I agree that the trend towards "I just don't want to do work" is
worrying.

-Aris