From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of
rsnel...@optusnet.com.au
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 1:25 AM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Looking For Equivalent to Olympus DS-40Recorder

Tom,

I reaalise that it is difficult to keep pace with the developments in
technology but what we thought was fantastic technology 10 years ago is now
very ordinary.

For Olympus digital audio recorders, take a look at the following web page:
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Digital-Audio-Recorders/Business.aspx

Under the heading "digital audio recorders" you will see the various categories
of digital recorders.  For example, under the heading of "business" you will
see the DM-720 which is the current equivalent of your old recorder.

What is not obvious is that all of these recorders have the same core
technology and just have different user interfaces to make them more usable for
different classes of people.

That is to say, user interfaces for the sound and field recorders (the LS
series) is designed for people making high fidelity recordings.  The interfaces
for notetaker devices or business devices are designed for dictation or
recording meetings.

Therefore, a DM-720 business recorder will be good for dictation and meetings
but, even though it has the digital technology to do so, it will not make it
convenient to record live music.

By the way, if you take the time to look, the LS-100, LS-14, LS-12 and LS-P2
are all shown as current models.

Bob Nelson