On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 13:12, Iain Simpson wrote:

> Ian Kumlien wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 11:04, Rainer Kalthoff wrote:
>
> >>When I make a /mode #channel I can see the recognized modes in plain text
> >>and the others as simple letters.
> >>

> > Yes, since they are nonstandard and have different meanings on different
> > nets.
> >

> >>Hmm, ok. While discussing that I understand why it is not possible to make
> >>a menu with all the letters to toggle modes.
> >>

> > Problem is... what modes? You don't know 'which modes' the ircd uses.
>
> This idea looks similar to one that i had a couple of years ago..
>
> You add a config section for user defining the text associated with a
> given mode. This would let you tell AmIRC to associate MODE +C with "No
> Colours", for example.
>
> Strings for nonstandard modes would not need to be included with AmIRC
> in the default configuration.
>
> Perhaps you could even tie this in with the ircds version response (use
> wildcards, "bahamut*", etc..), which would let the user configure AmIRC
> to use the users own strings for a set of specified ircds.
>
> This way the responsibility for discovering what modes mean falls on the
> user.

Yes that is one possible way, but it would still require major work, and
rewriting some major parts afair.

There is a reason to why AmIRC only supports the irc standard and that
is to make it easy to use and keep it simple for programmers.

I've always been netcentric with the plugins i've written since there is
no point in going to all nets and add workarounds... It's to much work..
Besides, the RFC allows for full compliance on all nets just that you
won't see the special thingymagin that the ircd hackers has dreamed up.
Personally i think that color filtering belongs in the client not the
ircd.

//Ian Kumlien