What do you mean by technical info?

A short blurb on how to get started with the application?

-- Kostya

20.08.2010 12:43, Natalie Hooper ?????:

On 19 August 2010 23:09, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com <mailto:treking...@gmail.com>> wrote:

         This is why there should be a "technical note" field (where
        you could also describe hardware limitations for example) and
        I'd rather ask for that than for a longer description field.

    What's the point of adding another, separate field for "technical
    notes" instead of just extending the description space and using
    that and saying: "Technical Note: Don't be a dumbass" (or whatever).

My reasons for suggesting it are as follows: it keeps consistency between listings, it reminds the developer to think about whether there are any technical notes he/she wishes to add, it means the technical info isn't lost in a sea of descriptions (assuming you can write descriptions longer than 325 characters), it enables the phone to download smaller amount of data (the technical note wouldn't need to be downloaded at the same time as the changelog because they would be on a separate screen presumably) and it gives Google more flexibility regarding how they manage their dB because they could break it up rather than having to hold a big text field (the long description) for each app.

Fundamentally, it seems that we want the same thing but we have a totally different approach to the problem. You just want a space where you can write it all and as we are already provided with a description field, your reasoning is that if this field had no length limit, you could put it all in there, and this is true, this would solve your problem. I want a more organised way of putting that info in because of the criticisms I constantly hear about the market, namely that the search facility isn't very good and that it's not as sleek as the Apple app store. So things like tagging, while undoubtedly more difficult to implement, would help with searching, and sleekiness, for me, has a lot to do with consistency across the store, hence my reluctance for the description field to be used for anything besides description.

Kostya Vasilev -- WiFi Manager + pretty widget -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com