On Monday, December 3, 2012 12:45:33 PM UTC-8, Brill Pappin wrote:

> Tough one and something I'm about to get into myself.
> As a rule we simply give anyone a refund who asks, but in app, unmanaged
> purchased would be much tougher to handle.

Sure, I always refund actual baseline app purchases (good old fashioned
direct app purchases)...but I've never used IAP before so these new issues
are...new.

> What I would do in your case is simply reuse whatever system you have for
> delivering the unmanaged purchase goods to flag as soon as the user did
> anything with what they bought, and make the policy: refund on "unopened"
> merchandise only. You may need to modify your app a little to make this
> clear to the users, but should be a small price to pay for smoother
> integration :)

I agree, but that's the problem.  I admit I didn't explain it very well.
The server-side database for managing purchased items identifies
installations by a UUID which is created when the app is run for the first
time.  This is conceptually similar to using a unique *device* id except
that if you research "unique Android device identifiers" you quickly learn
there is no across-the-board 100% operational way to get such ids...so I
use UUIDs generated in-app at first launch.  Fine...........but google
purchases don't identify their device (much less my own personal UUID
scheme obviously).  So when a google account (a person or gmail address in
effect) requests a refund...how on Earth do I "look them up" in my database
of in-app unmanaged purchases (tied to installation UUIDs) to see if the
purchased item has ever been used within the app?  How do I do that?
That's what I cannot, for the life of me, figure out.