Thanks for information.

I'm already using OGG files totaling about 200kB. The original
uncompressed WAV files are 1.4MB. I'll try to further reduce number of
files and the total size. Also, I'm not using stop/pause as it crashes
the application instantly :)

Robert, are you saying that your application is working fine with
SoundPool? If so, could you please post information about files sizes,
format, frequency, channels, and bitrate?

I'm not sure if the MediaPlayer approach is suitable for me, as the
latency is the high priority here. I would rather go without sound
effects than with laggy sound effects.

Still, it would be nice to see an "official" word about SoundPool.
It's a very important feature, especially for game developers.