This one needs a little clarification.
Kart racers have been using accelerometer based data acquisition
systems with trackside beacons for accurate lap times for a while
now.  The newer ones have GPS, but I don't think they always did.  The
granularity of the data is really fine. The instruments retail for
between $300 and $700 and sell in small quantities compared to,
say,... cellular phones.  With micromachining the accelerometer does
not have to be expensive to be remarkably good. Anyway for a sense of
the progression from accelerometers to GPS, read down to the bottom of
this page:

http://www.edgekart.com/store/gauges/mychron4.htm

Here is another supplier: http://www.digatronusa.com/products-karts.shtml

An accelerometer will make a scribble with no reference to the track
geometry, but with decent calibration, at a store entrance, an
accelerometer emulating a GPS can find item beacons on store shelves
(note: the phone behaves as if the item is sending a beacon based on a
coordinate difference between phone and item and an emulated compass)
even when no GPS [signal] is present.

This works for vendor booths at trade shows too, but the stable
platform of a grocery cart may be needed for early versions just
because signal to noise is so good compared to being on a person.