whitemice,

Your description is technically in focus in that we are looking at the
same thing, I just want phone to use the accelerometer(s) to emulate 1
meter GPS and compass functions when no GPS or compass is available.

1.) So all the programming involves is: behavior is
f(dx,dy,dz,orientation). The system provides the data from whatever
costs the least. The function is already there on location, but
accelerometer (inertial) estimates were not on the list of location
service providers. This should be on the list with whatever caveats
come with it (like requires consistent orientation since last known
good).

2.) The other thing is that when data is bad and tower location cannot
resolve exactly where the phones are I want the system to present
choices  in addition to precision estimates. The local program can
have stored information about routes and history to  pick from several
possible positions.  This will maintain continuity in the application
whereas having precision suddenly go to a km with no more bearing data
really blows up a pedestrian level program that requires a simulated
compass.

3). Also, when comparing two poor signals (think like interpolating
steam tables), the comparison needs to be done before any rounding. I
want the phones to be able to share and compare raw data with each
other without asking the system to make an independent (non-
differential) estimate of where each is. If I am trying to locate
someone and I cannot read a map, all I care about is relative
position.  The system can act like some systems engineer and insist on
giving me only absolute data and throw the baby out with the
bathwater, but it does not have to.

In other words, android location services can be more robust than
systems costing 4 times as much.  This is a difference all customers
will recognize when they do the inevitable side by side comparisons.
Each time that happens Android takes share.

ed (the systems engineer :-)