Been thinking about what you said, or the way you said it, and
observational errors I have made in the past. The phone has to be able
to resolve the difference between 'tilt' and acceleration. If you make
it 2-D by mounting it to a grocery cart, as long as there are no
wheelies, the phone will not have to resolve that difference - it will
work. If the sensors were located at the ends of the phone, with pure
acceleration both vectors swing together: magnitude, direction...
everything. If there is tilting going on there will be a difference
during the motion that initiates tilt. That feels like one of those
interpolation things where you want to operate on the difference
before you digitize the information from each sensor.

When you look at the cost to implement an accelerometer array and the
scale of the mobile phone market and the cost (battery and other) of
GPS and the ability to calibrate out differences in sensor position
due to manufacturing tolerances (and thermal expansion?), it should be
have a place. I just don't know if anyone is doing it.

The steps are Micro Machine expertise with an eye toward making
elements that provide good linearity over the entire range of interest
(cascaded sensors?) and difference signal ports so that they can array
well to resolve the difference between rigid body tilt and
acceleration. This looks like 3+ years to me, unless someone has all
the pieces or recognized the market long ago and is already working on
it.