"...are you going to try and build this?"

Only if we have to.

We are going to use the expensive handsets (that have accelerometers
and compasses) as prototypes to show an end to end people coordination
tool. On each step the use model will be made to work well using only
those UI elements that will exist on the target hardware, a $50
handset.

Then it is about persuading a handset manufacturer to make a
pedestrian phone for ordinary people.

Most of the early effort will be centered around making carpooled
commutes efficient and attractive. The commutes will work with phones
with no compass or accelerometer. Those instruments really come into
play for queuing and organizing people on foot - which is one of the
reasons carpools don't work right now.

So yes, for an end to end tool the pedestrian stuff has to work. For
pedestrian stuff to work you need reliable GPS like differential
location with compass function.

Inertial bridging to help a handset application select from location
choices provided by a not quite sure tower triangulation service (an
extension of this service where GPS coordinates are correlated to
other parameters that phones know:
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2008/06/google-enables-location-aware.html
)
goes a long way toward making a phone that works for people on foot.