(1) I’ve never seen someone trying to do inertial navigation on a
phone, but it could work temporally if you have 3 axis orientation and
acceleration sensitivity, or are only handling a 2D problem domain.

I just checked and unfortunately it would require a lot of messing
around to get JavaME access on my N95 to try this idea out.  So I will
wait for my first Android phone before experimenting with this idea.

(2) Agreed, multiple positioning technologies make the solution more
robust.

(3) Agreed, but wait for the API to see what’s possible.  Google have
so far been very quiet with important technical details like this.

What’s your background, are you going to try and build this?