Peter,

> Did you specify a threaded MPM?

You're right;  I had assumed that apache2 uses threads by default.

However, when I configured and compiled with --with-mpm=threadpool (and also
with --with-mpm=worker), apache2 still worked like a champ up to around 250
concurrent connections (the server box is a dual 1.4 GHz PPC, BTW).

Evidence that I compiled apache correctly is that both threaded binaries
behave differently from apache 1 (they happen to be 20-27% faster than apache
1 at large concurrencies (100-250)).

> Have you set maxthreads somewhere above 15?

Yes, I see the same behavior with maxthreads=50 or 150.

> Do you have filters or
> other scripts/customizations that would lock around a precious resource?

Not that I know of.  I'm not an aolserver expert.  All I know is that in this
case I just compiled and installed aolserver-4 with defaults and used the
default nsd.tcl file.

I get essentially the same results with aolserver 3.5.6.  With that server I
am using nsora.

- - -

I have now reproduced the behavior on another Apple Power Mac (same OS, lower
speed).  I see the same difference in behavior between Apache and AOLserver.

I've sent my info to Nathan Folkman.

Thanks very much for your comments.  I just specified AOLserver in a grant
application, and then I made this discovery on the day the grant was due.
Yikes.  I'm happy to install Yellow Dog Linux on these boxes if that helps.

-Kevin