On Tuesday 01 July 2003 15:15, you wrote:
> I'll take a look at updating the sample-config.tcl to be more relevant
> (and cleaner). If anyone has any suggestions, please send my way.
>
> Andrew Piskorski wrote:

>  > If you're hitting your AOLserver constantly with Apache Bench and
>  > never letting any threads sit idle for 120 seconds, then you're
>  > probably only taking the hit of spawning new threads once, rather than
>  > the (bad) hit of spawning and killing them over and over.  But even so
>  > it'll probably remove some variabiltiy in your results to change your
>  > thread settigs to something like the above.

Although this is very true, I must add that I've been able to replicate
the issue on our Mac with 10.2.6 Darwin, regardless of the above setup.
The same AOLserver 4.0 on Linux and Sun work perfectly well
under whatever (concurrent) load you apply to it with ab.
The MaxOSX has problems when the number of concurrent
connections matches number of connection threads. I was not able
to verify why is that so, but there might be a problem, either somewhere
in the pthreads implementation or the networking code on Darwin (or both).
This has yet to be discovered...

My personal experience with this OS is: if you need a stable server OS,
you should consider an alternative to Darwin, at least for some time.
Both Linux and Solaris are very good, with Solaris being still the best
platform I know about.
This is of course just my personal oppinion.

Cheers,
Zoran