On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Goetz, Paul <paul.go...@sap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just some background on the venue constraints so far:
> We selected Rhein-Neckar-Arena Sinsheim to get the most out of the available
> budget.
> Sinsheim is not known for its famous nightlife (it's more like Knockree), but
> SAP gets a special price for booking the venue there + we have all the
> technical equipment available (and we're still trying to get some kind of
> beer run organized :o)
> Basic idea - at least as far as I understood - was to allow even those with a
> small travel budget to participate.
>
> With that in mind, I would agree with Noirin, that those interested in Apache
> might still get to ApacheCon EU, even if they went to W-JAX before (at least
> from a budget perspective, not so sure about the time required to be
> out-of-office).
> And back to the nightlife: Munich surely outperforms Sinsheim in this regards
> (maybe this is why everybody goes to Berlin Buzzwords and spends the budget
> there :o)
> Therefore, from my perspective, it seems better to have the ACEU date not
> clashing with W-JAX - if possible (even without knowing the detailed numbers).
>
> Anyway, getting numbers about the expected audience (EU/US/...) seems to be
> difficult.
> @Nick: Are there any numbers from the past?
>
> Although I'm not keen on asking our SAP venue staff at all (as they most
> probably will kill me for that), I could give it a try and ask on Monday. If
> it turns out, that we can't change the contract, we won't have a choice
> anyway...
> But: In order to do that, I need a decision - either move to the new date
> (20-22 November) or keep the original (6-8 November). And if possible by
> Monday next week...
> I assume that the longer we need, the fewer the probability that 20-22
> November is still available.
>
> What can I do to get a quick vote or quick poll on "In case we're able to
> change the date: Who prefers to move planned ACEU 2012 from 6-8 to 20-22
> (November)"?

Usually you send a mail with the subject [POLL] ACEU Date and give the
two options like:

ACEU happens best on:
[] 6-8 November (clashing with WJAX)
[] 20-22 November (clashing with thanksgiving in the US)

The question is were to send it. I might sense the this mailinglist is
the best place, because everybody interested in the event probably
reads it...

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de