Apologies - I posted this in the wrong place (support requests instead of the
user mailing list):

 Hi,

I'm trying to retrieve data from my girlfriends broken
A5000. I did a raw bit copy of the IDE drive to a file
(using some DOS utility - the linux kernel was throwing
'lost interrupt' errors when I tried to dd it),
although it complained about a couple of bad sectors.

I've put the raw image in ./arcem, named as HardImage1,
and written this .arcemrc:

MFM disc
1 980 2 17 128

When I try to read the drive it complains that 'Disc
not understood, has it been formatted? error when
reading adfs::4.$'.

Using the cvs version of arcem I get lots of

seek: cylinder address greater than or equal to configured, 980 >= 980
Read data command exiting due to failed file seek

at the command line, and arcem seems to sit at the 'initialising' screen for
ever.

Could you point me in the right direction (assuming the
image isn't just totally goosed). Oh, I'm running under linux btw,  kernel
2.6.8-24.18.

thanks,

Charles.