Hi Charles,

> Apologies - I posted this in the wrong place (support requests instead
> of the user mailing list):

The arcem-devel list has a higher population and you're more likely to
get an answer there since it requires knowledge of arcem's internals.

> I'm trying to retrieve data from my girlfriends broken A5000. I did a
> raw bit copy of the IDE drive to a file (using some DOS utility - the
> linux kernel was throwing 'lost interrupt' errors when I tried to dd
> it), although it complained about a couple of bad sectors.

So I guess the image you've got may have corruptions.  :-(

> I've put the raw image in ./arcem, named as HardImage1, and written
> this .arcemrc:
>
> MFM disc
> 1 980 2 17 128

980 * 2 * 17 * 128 == 4,264,960 B == 4,165 KiB.  That's quite small.
What length is HardImage1?

Looking at the source code, ReadConfig.c:/MFM disc, it seems `drivenum'
has a valid range of 0 <= drivenum <= 3, so your `1' means the second
hard drive.  Similarly, hdc63463.c:/HardImage means the image files are
called HardImage[0-3].  So your .arcemrc and HardImage1 match, but what
is RISC OS's *Configuration for hard drives set to, i.e. does it think
it has one hard drive called HardImage0?

> When I try to read the drive it complains that 'Disc not understood,
> has it been formatted? error when reading adfs::4.$'.

Again, I'd have thought adfs::4 is HardImage0.  If this isn't the
problem, then what does `od -c HardImage1 | head -20' give?

> Using the cvs version of arcem I get lots of
>
> seek: cylinder address greater than or equal to configured, 980 >= 980
> Read data command exiting due to failed file seek
>
> at the command line, and arcem seems to sit at the 'initialising'
> screen for ever.

Hmm.  That used to be just `greater than', which wouldn't cause problems
with 980 vs. 980.  Wonder who changed it.

Feel free to keep asking the questions.

Cheers,

Ralph.