Subject: Re: Trying to read a raw image file
Date: Friday 14 July 2006 09:47

> So I guess the image you've got may have corruptions.  :-(
I don't mind a little data corruption, as long as I can read the bulk of the
data from the image.

>980 * 2 * 17 * 128 == 4,264,960 B == 4,165 KiB.  That's quite small.
>What length is HardImage1?

(thumps head on table). Its an image of a Conner CP3044, and it's 42854845
bytes long. Thanks to a little bit of stupidity on my part, and an oddity in
the way firefox rendered a  specification page for that drive, I had
the .arcemrc all wrong. I now have:

MFM disc
1 980 5 17 512

Which I got by getting the right number of heads (!) and then dividing the
size of the file by the product of 980*5*17 and rounding slightly to get the
sector size. OK, probably totally wrong, but I've no idea how to get the
right figure for that value.

That gets me the following error

-------------- HDC New command: Data=0x0 - unknown/unimplemented PC=0x38e0028
HDC: Param block contents:  0x1  0x0  0x0  0x0  0x0  0xc  0x0  0x2  0xa9  0xa
0xd  0xc  0x0  0x0  0x0  0x0
Aborted

which sort of looks like progress. arcem crashes at that point. I suspect I
still don't have the sector size right - could you give me some guidance
about that?

Incidentally, and totally off topic, I inherited a whole load of Acorn user
and Acorn computing magazines going back to the mid eighties - about 7 copier
paper boxes full. Would someone be interested in giving them a home? I
haven't really got the space for them.