Hi Charles,

> > So I guess the image you've got may have corruptions.  :-(
>
> I don't mind a little data corruption, as long as I can read the bulk
> of the data from the image.

OK.

> > 980 * 2 * 17 * 128 == 4,264,960 B == 4,165 KiB.  That's quite small.
> > What length is HardImage1?
>
> (thumps head on table). Its an image of a Conner CP3044, and it's
> 42854845 bytes long.

That still looks odd.  Literally.  Given it should have a whole number
of sectors, and sectors always have an even number of bytes, it should
be an even number of bytes long.  It's 167,401.73828125 * 256 which just
looks wrong.  What does

    od -c HardImage1 | head
    od -c HardImage1 | tail

give?

> I now have:
>
> MFM disc
> 1 980 5 17 512

(Which is 42,649,600.)

> Which I got by getting the right number of heads (!)

That doesn't matter AFAICS as it's not a real drive.  I expect the
emulation requires the various numbers to be within certain ranges, but
otherwise you're free to pick what you want so the total is correct.

> That gets me the following error
>
> -------------- HDC New command: Data=0x0 - unknown/unimplemented PC=0x38e0028
> HDC: Param block contents:  0x1  0x0  0x0  0x0  0x0  0xc  0x0  0x2  0xa9  0xa
>
> 0xd  0xc  0x0  0x0  0x0  0x0
> Aborted

This means the hard disc emulation was given a command by the emulated
OS, RISC OS?, that it couldn't understand.  PC=0x38e0028 is the memory
address of the RISC instruction.  This is odd.  What OS are you running
and at what point does this occur, during boot, when you do something on
the desktop, etc.

> which sort of looks like progress. arcem crashes at that point. I
> suspect I still don't have the sector size right - could you give me
> some guidance about that?

A quick look at the code suggests the valid values are

    cylinders 1..1024
    heads 1..256
    sectors 1..256
    sectorlength 256|512|1024|2048|4096

but I could be wrong.  That's a maximum of 274,877,906,944 bytes which is
268,435,456 KiB, 262,144 MiB, 256 GiB.

First, find out why your disc image is an odd size.

BTW, do you know about David Boddie's user space ADFS disc image reader?
ADFSlib.  It handles hard drive ADFS images, not just floppies IIRC.

    http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/index.html

Cheers,

Ralph.