jsh writes

 In the first quoted paragraph, you say that at least
some of what determines how well a person can
contribute is associated with luck and forces beyond
that person's control.  In the second, you imply that
these outcomes of chance are analogous to a small bet
between two consenting adults.  I don't see the
analogy.
The fall of the coin is the result of "luck and forces beyond that person's control." That demonstrates that, in at least some cases, we consider such outcomes relevant to what someone is entitled to get.

To say that the person one becomes determines what
this person deserves is reasonable, but not as an
absolute.  The person one becomes is a product of
myriad factors, many of which are outside said
person's control.  Suppose that a person is born into
a family of Philistines--truly ignorant buffons and
semi-literate at best.  Odds are that this person will
not enjoy the same fruits as a more-or-less identical
person born into a family of doctors, judges, and
industrialists.  To say that the first person deserves
less and the latter more smacks of punishing a child
for the crimes of a parent.  It certainly doesn't
sound like like consenting adults making a small bet
on the flip of a coin.
I agree that the person one becomes is a result of factors at least some of which, arguably all of which, are outside of one's control. My point is that moral worthiness isn't being predicated of the newborn infant or fertilized ovum but of the adult that it turned into. Whatever the reasons are that I am cruel and dishonest, cruel and dishonest people deserve to have bad things happen to them. That, at least, is a moral intuition that many people find convincing.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law