I would completely agree with David here, new environment clean build and
move over just your customisations that are still required (rather than any
bug fixes for old versions or functionality that is replaced with v9.1). Of
course that sounds like the costly option but decommission the old
hardware/virtual environments and you end up with an ITSM environment fit
for the future, in support and able to cope with the requirements of ITSM
v9.x.

A clean v9.x install will generally be faster, easier to support and of
course easier to upgrade to the next ITSM version. You will of course still
need to review the customizations you have applied to your current system
and decide what you need to retain, but that is of course best practice
with an upgrade anyway.

While ITSM 9.1 data wizard is vastly superior to older versions and far
more capable of managing the data in your production environment, what it
will not do is handle the data migration from your old version. You will
want to migrate over the foundation data, and the transactional data onto
ITSM 9.x . This is an ideal time to clean up data, remapping Prod cats and
Op Cats etc. and potentially archive some of the tickets that you no longer
need direct access to.

We use our Customer Move Tool (more info http://www.alderstone.com/cmt) for
the migration from previous ITSM versions to the latest, as we can migrate
all modules data or a reduced set (including extracting single companies
and migrating just their data), depending on your requirements. In general
we've been able to move all data within one day and the upgrade process
becomes very smooth indeed. Please let me know if you would like to talk
about this in more detail or I can set up a Demo of our migration tool to
show you the flexibility and power of the application.

In the mean time if you have specific questions around upgrades, please let
me know.

regards

Sean

*Sean Harries*
Alderstone Consulting Ltd

Revolutionise your management of BMC Remedy ITSM Services with CMT
<http://alderstone.com/cmt/>

Mobile: +44 (0)7976 558048
Skype: seanharries
MSN: seanharr...@alderstone.com <sean.harr...@alderstone.com>