The shift you mention from ARS development to ITSM administration is definitely
real, and I’ve seen many conversations over the past year or so about this on
the ARSList and in other places.  This is a deliberate shift on the part of
BMC, because 1) it makes more money for them both in software sales and ongoing
maintenance, 2) it generates professional services revenue, and to a lesser
extent, 3) the market is trying to shy away from in-house development to all
third party applications.

IT Service Management is becoming like any other area of business.  You don’t
see many companies hiring scores of programmers to write accounting systems
anymore.  They either outsource it or buy canned apps like PeopleSoft, SAP, or
Oracle.  Management want pre-packaged applications that adhere to best
practices, and are well tested and fully featured.  There is a lot of debate
over whether or not ITSM 7 fits that or not, but that’s another topic.  J  I
also think that the ARS platform, as cool as it is, would have a hard time
competing against things like .NET or some of the various Java implementations.
 I used to do VB 6, and from the little I’ve seen of .NET it seems to be much
easier to program in.  I also took a class on Java Struts, and while it’s not
as easy as .NET appears to be (although to be fair, we coded everything in a
simple text editor, not an IDE) it still is pretty simple.  I think the
traditional programming languages have entered into the space that ARS
development held for a long time.  At my company, for example, we used to do a
lot of ARS development and Lotus Notes development for rapid application
development.  That’s been replaced by .NET now, and our Remedy implementation
went from custom apps to ITSM 7 with a few custom apps, and our Lotus Notes
system went away entirely because every facet of it was replaced by Microsoft
products (as well as ITSM 7 for some of the custom apps.)

So to make a long story short, ARS developers should look at adding other
skills to their resumes.  I think that there will always be a need for ARS
development work, especially with how problematic ITSM 7 has been, but it won’t
be considered the core Remedy skill set anymore.  The bright side is that ITSM
jobs seem to pay better than ARS development jobs, and still much better than
.NET and Java developers can get paid.

Shawn Pierson