> Ok, but this RFE was previously accepted and slated to be implemented in a
> future release. In other words according to the notes it had "made the cut".

Not exactly.  99.9% of the time, RFE's are not "accepted" - they are put "Under
Consideration".  That means the RFE will be considered during the release
planning of the listed targeted release - but does not necessarily mean it will
be implemented.  More RFEs are placed "Under Consideration" than get into any
given release and thus RFEs that cannot be implemented due to technology
limitations, conflicting business priorities or time restraints can be further
deferred.

Think of it somewhat like elimination rounds in a game show.  If the initial
RFE submission is placed "under consideration", that means the review committee
felt it was a reasonable idea and that it could go on to be assessed during the
planning stage of the targeted release.  If, during the planning stage, the RFE
is found to meet the criteria for inclusion in the release, then it will be
scoped further and tentatively placed into the backlog for that release.  If
all goes well, it gets into the release - but changes in priority always happen
and even once it's in the backlog for the release, there's still a chance that
something of higher priority may defer it to a later release.  If it's deferred
to a later release, it will be reviewed again during that future planning
session and the cycle continues.

We try to be very explicit about these facts in communication with customers so
that we "stay cool" with their expectations.  The RFE process, for example, is
found here: http://www.bmc.com/support/review-policies and documents what the
various statuses mean.

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager, Solution Strategy and Development
BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this
E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary
participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson,
liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.