I recently had a client experiencing ~15-20 minute startup times for each
server. Turned out to be an issue with McAfee. The On Access scan was
trying (unsuccessfully) to scan each plugin dll as it was loaded. Causing
the system to hang until McAfee timed out. Stopping McAfee while starting
ARS reduced the start time to 3 minutes.

Jason L Bess, MCSE/RSP/ITILv3
BMC Remedy ITSM Consultant