Another thing to keep in mind is fragmentation of the ARS data dictionary.
 During startup, (I'm 99% sure that) ARS pulls the entire data dictionary
into memory.  Over time, as you implement changes and unless you've taken
steps to mitigate the problem, the DD will become increasingly fragmented.
 I'm a little out of my depth on this, but it seems to make sense that if
you have a very large database, this can mean that the DD data is spread
throughout your tens/hundreds/thousands of GB of user data, and that in
turn can mean that it takes the DB a while to gather it all up during
startup.

Preventative mitigation strategies would include sequestering the DD tables
so that this can't happen.  I'm getting much further out of my depth, but I
have a vague recollection that you used to somehow be able to direct ARS
how to use Oracle segments, though I don't recall the granularity of this
and don't know if the configuration mechanism still exists (I've dabbled a
bit I'm far from being an Oracle DBA).  And while I'm not a SQL server DBA
either, I'm much more familiar with it as a database, and I can see how
with a bit of manual effort you could certainly sequester the ARS DD tables
into their own filegroup.

A reactive strategy (i.e. relieve existing fragmentation) would be to
copy-restore the DB, or at least the ARS tables.

-charlie